Sun 01
R Ridley, J Wallace (2), C Harkes, L Johnson
c (8)L Johnson, E Smith
c (3)
Penrith U/13's v Carlisle 01/02/2015

Penrith U/13's v Carlisle 01/02/2015

By Vince Campbell
Share via

Penrith U/13's v Carlisle 01/02/2015

Penrith v Carlisle 01/02/15

The turbulent weather and heavy snow falls earlier in the week was nearly as turbulent as the emotional roller coaster on the pitch.
The day started early for the coach, Gary Johnson with a pitch inspection. A hard frost overnight causing some doubt, but the sun would have its warming effect on the pitch. Thumbs up given, and game on!

Hopes were high with the home advantage and the need to get a New Year win under our belts. Penrith were bolstered by two guest players, Luke Hunter and Kettles. With some key players missing it was always going to be a tough game, Carlisle had a good squad turn out, and were looking for a chance to turn around the defeat at Warwick Road at the start of the season.

Penrith kicked off with the bitter wind to their backs. After 2 minutes of scrappy play the match had its first scrummage, Penrith holding their own against a solid Carlisle pack. The ball was retained and a ruck formed. Ross Ridley (No4) found himself with the ball and off he went down the right, he got up a head of steam, and with a couple of trusty hand off's he got over the line. 5 – 0. Six minutes in, Carlisle returned the favour with their trusty number 8. A pick from the back of the scrum, a couple of missed tackles, and a clean pair of heels levelling the score, 5 – 5. From the kick off Penrith kept the momentum going forwards, good handling in the backs and plenty of support from the forwards at the breakdown. On 10 minutes Penrith won their put in on a scrum, with Carlisle getting the push on, a quick thinking Jack Wallace (No8) picked up and briefly thought about the pass before taking it on himself. He was rewarded with a good solo try in the right corner, 10 – 5. On twelve minutes, Penrith were again on the ascendancy down the left, scrappy ball won by the forwards, Hugh Burne (No9) spun the ball out to the backs. Callum Harkes (No13) jinking his way through the Carlisle defence to the left of the posts for another good solo effort, 15 – 5. On 21 minutes Jack Wallace again got his hands on the ball, this time on the half way line. A determined effort saw another good solo effort down the left supported by Callum Harkes, 20 – 5. The try was to the left of the posts, but close enough for Louie Johnson to convert, 22 – 5. With half time looming Carlisle had their heads down. The restart by Carlisle was again snapped up and the drive forward took Penrith near to the 22 metre line. Louie Johnson this time took on the jaded defence jinking left and right, a well deserved try under the posts, 27 – 5. Ed Smith (No 12) converting the extra two points on half time, 29 – 5.

Carlisle started the second half with a steely determination and after 2 minutes Penrith’s nemesis (Carlisle’s No 8) went over in the right corner. 29 – 10. The second half was all one way, Carlisle stepping up another gear with Penrith stuck in reverse. They rapidly racked up the points and now it was Penrith’s turn to have dropping heads. Carlisle’s number 8 running in at least six tries. A combination of poor tackling and great pace saw him score almost at will. One notable try resulting from rare Penrith pressure down the right. A scrum on their 10 metre line resulting in the No8’s pick up and run the full length of the pitch to score. Carlisle won nearly all the loose play, and all the scrummaging, including against the head. Penrith were starved of possession and missing the spark of the first half. Final score 29 – 46.

Well done to Carlisle on a great second half. A big thanks to the referee, coach Gary. Just a couple of dodgy decisions, but on reflection it wouldn’t have made much difference anyway! Well done to all the boys and a big thanks to the guest players, Luke and Kettles.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sun 01, Feb 2015